Inclusion is core to everything that we provide at The Aquila School. We welcome pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (pupils of determination). We endeavor to ensure all our pupils receive an inclusive education, where every effort is made to reduce barriers to learning to ensure equitable access to appropriate provision, resources, and curriculum options.
At The Aquila School, our teachers work tirelessly to ensure all children make as much progress as possible and that the activities the children take part in are matched to their ability level. For children who excel in a particular subject or area, our teachers ensure they are challenged and have access to a variety of provisions so they can continue with their passion. Our teachers personalise the curriculum for the needs of the individual children in their class.
Our specialist inclusion team – made up of teachers and learning support assistants, work to provide evidence-based interventions and model good practice to ensure every member of staff provides inclusive practice, that makes a positive difference to all children. They ensure pupils benefit from personalised programmes to enable the best possible progress, working collaboratively with parents and outside agencies.
The Head of Inclusion in our school is Mrs. Hitchings. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. The school policy on inclusion can be found here and the admissions policy can be found here.
In addition to the graduated approach of quality first teaching, through Level 1, 2 and 3 support, The Aquila School works in consolidation with the Hemam Learning Support Center where we aim to support pupils who have significant needs and challenges to be included in a mainstream school environment and education. We work in partnership with the Hemam center who provide tailor made provision for pupils to receive specialised therapies and personalised programmes within school. The children work part-time within the mainstream classroom and receive therapy with an individual ABA therapist as well as Speech and Language and Occupational Therapists in school.
We have world class facilities and resources to further inclusive practice across the school.
Aims of SEND provision at The Aquila School
At The Aquila School pupils with additional educational needs are the responsibility of all, our staff are fully informed of pupils’ needs and receive regular training to ensure inclusion for all.
- We identify new students with possible barriers to learning as early as possible, promoting early intervention
- We use processes to continually assess, plan, do and review individuals
- We ensure Level 3 pupils of determination have Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) with SMART targets and goals
- We write detailed Learner Profiles for every child on the inclusion register to ensure all the best strategies to support a pupil are consistently used.
- We foster effective regular communication between staff/ parents/ carers and external professional agencies
- Parents of students with SEND are kept fully informed on their child’s progress and interventions to support
- We embrace a range of different learning styles and accommodations to reduce barriers to learning
- We have a team of Inclusion teachers and Learning Support Assistants within the inclusion department who work with our class and subject teachers to provide effective interventions
- Where a pupil requires 1:1 support the Individual Learning Support Assistants (ILSA) are line managed by the Head of Inclusion
In 2021, The Aquila School has been recognised for its contribution to inclusive education – receiving the SENDIA award in recognition of our effective and inclusive provision for children with special educational needs and pupils of determination.
Families can find out more about choosing an inclusive school by reading the KHDA guide linked below:
The following links will take you to documents and laws relating to inclusive education in Dubai:
KHDA Directives on Inclusive Education:
UN Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities:
Relevant UAE/Dubai laws:
Families can find out more about services and support for persons of determination here: