At The Aquila School we believe year 7 should be a smooth continuation form year 6. The ethos of the school is the same- as is our commitment to ensuring children make as much progress as possible through an engaging curriculum and amazing learning. However, we know that year seven is the start of secondary education- getting children ready for public examinations and to make choices about their future, and so many ways year seven is different from year 6.
- A different, more grown up uniform.
- Specialist teachers for different subjects.
- Specialist classrooms on the higher floors of the school, including science laboratories, a computer suite and a secondary library/ study centre.
- The introduction of formal homework.
- Longer lessons.
- Form tutor time to explore a range of issues about learning.
Subjects in Year 7:
- Islamic studies (for our Muslim students)
- Art and design
- Design and technology
- Physical education (including swimming)
- UAE social studies
- Moral education
- Citizenship/ life skills
- Independent studies
Beyond the Classroom
Students at The Aquila School are provided with many opportunities to develop and thrive. Learning is not limited to the classroom, but can also take place outdoors or through an educational visit, or a community service project. Lessons are lively, fun and challenging, and provide children with many opportunities to think critically and independently.
Social and Emotional Development
In addition to the British curriculum, our school values, ethos and teaching approaches encourage children to develop collaborative enquiry skills, and understand that they are important individuals who can make a positive difference to the lives of others. Our aim is to promote curiosity, to encourage students to ask questions, and to teach them to use their skills and knowledge confidently in real life situations.